About the software
The Heureka Forestry Decision Support System (DSS) is a suite of freely available softwares developed and hosted by the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU). The system covers the whole decision support process from data inventory to tools for selecting among plan alternatives with multi-criteria decision making techniques.
The software applications are intended for both large-scale and small-scale forestry and are designed for different users' specific problem areas:
- StandWise for stand-level analysis (sw: BeståndsVis)
- PlanWise for forest-level planning and analysis (sw: PlanVis)
- PlanEval is a multi-criteria decision making tool for comparing alternatives generated in PlanWise
- RegWise for regional and national scenario analysis (sw: RegVis)
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows (Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10).
For Windows 8 problems have been reported when running StandWise if .Net Framework has been upgraded to 4.5.1. This is due to a bug in .Net Framework in 32-bit applications that occur when connected to a database. PlanWise work OK though in Windows 8, at least in 64-bit mode.
- SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2014 (Express version is enough). Support for Sql Server 2005 and 2008 was ended in version 2.4. These versions do not support SQL Server geometry types which is now used.
- .Net 4.0
- Freely available for registered users
- Download available from internet.
- Windows ClickOnce client applications. May be changed to MSI installer in 2010.
- Development software: Visual Studio 2013 (Prof).
- Programming language: C#
- Database server: SQL Server 2012
- Source control: Subversion
- Build server: TeamCity
- Bug tracking: MantisBT
- Project management: Sharepoint
Third party software
- The ZIMPL] optimization language and compilator is used for formulating optimization problems and transforming them into formats that can be handled by LP_Solve and Cplex. The ZIMPL source code is released under the GNU General Public License.
- LP_Solve. Included in PlanWise for solving optimization problems. No license is required, LP_Solve is released under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).
- ILOG CPLEX ®, Gurobi ®, Mosek®, FICO Xpress®. Links to CPLEX, Gurobi, Mosek and FICO Xpress are included in PlanWise for solving large optimization problems. These are commercial solvers for solving LP and MIP problems. The user must have a license to be able to run these from PlanWise.
- DotNetMagic. Advanced user interface controls. Requires a development license but is free for the end user.
- OnyxTree. Used to create tree images used in StandWise.
- Plus some other: see the full list in the end user license agreement.